ISRAEL If you’re reading this on an empty stomach, go get a snack. Prepare to salivate!
My friend Gloria Kremer is a divine cook who loves to try new recipes while maintaining family traditions.
Apple, cinnamon & walnut cake ... Source: "THE BOOK OF NEW ISRAELI FOOD" BY JANNA GUR
5 large apples, peeled and cored Juice of half a lemon 2 cups flour 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 teaspoon baking soda Pinch of salt 3 large eggs 1 cup sugar 3/4 cup vegetable oil 5 tablespoons brandy or calvados 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 3/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped For dusting: 2 tablespoons sugar 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Procedure: 1. Preheat oven to 350¢ªF.
2. Cut 3 apples into 1/2-inch dice. Slice remaining 2 apples into 8 wedges each, sprinkle with lemon juice and set aside.
3. Sift flour with cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs, sugar, brandy and vanilla extract until pale and thick, about 8 minutes.
5. Lower speed and gradually add oil and then flour mixture.
6. Fold in diced apples and chopped walnuts and pour batter into a well-greased 10-inch springform pan. Arrange apple wedges in center of cake in a flower pattern. Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top.
7. Bake 60 to 70 minutes until cake is golden and a toothpick comes out dry with a few crumbs adhering.
8. Cool 10 minutes, release from pan and cool completely on a rack.See More
We are leaders in worldwide travel planning and execution. We focus on personalized service. We take the time to listen to your needs, desires and dreams and then come up with the perfect trip for you. We’re there to create the unforgettable experience for group tours and individual travelers.